Fri, Mar 17, 2023 12:36 AM
In recent years, streaming services have become increasingly popular. With the rise of platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video, it’s no surprise that people are considering cutting the cord and ditching their cable TV subscriptions altogether. Cable TV can be expensive, and many people are tired of paying for channels they never watch.
In this article, we’ll explore the ways you can cut the cord and never pay for TV again. We’ll look at different streaming services, devices, and antennas that can help you save money on your entertainment budget. We’ll also provide some tips for making the transition from cable TV to streaming services as seamless as possible.
How to cut the cord
Cutting the cord can seem daunting, but it’s actually quite simple. Here are some steps you can take to get started:
- Determine your viewing habits: Before you cut the cord, it’s important to take stock of your viewing habits. Make a list of the channels and shows you watch regularly, and see if they’re available on any streaming services. This will help you decide which services to subscribe to.
- Choose a streaming service: Once you’ve determined which channels and shows you can’t live without, it’s time to choose a streaming service. There are many options out there, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and more. Compare prices and features to find the service that’s right for you.
- Get a streaming device: In order to access streaming services, you’ll need a device to stream them on. There are many options, including smart TVs, gaming consoles, and dedicated streaming devices like Roku or Amazon Fire TV. Choose the device that works best for you and your budget.
- Consider an antenna: While streaming services offer a lot of content, they may not provide access to all your local channels. Consider purchasing an antenna to pick up local channels for free.
- Cancel your cable subscription: Once you’ve chosen your streaming service(s) and have a device to stream them on, it’s time to cancel your cable subscription. Be sure to return any equipment and cancel any additional services (like DVR) you no longer need.
Streaming services to consider
There are many streaming services to choose from, each with their own unique features and content offerings. Here are some of the most popular options:
- Netflix: Netflix is one of the most popular streaming services around, offering a wide range of TV shows, movies, and original content. Plans start at $8.99 per month.
- Hulu: Hulu offers both live TV and on-demand content, making it a great option for those who still want access to live TV. Plans start at $5.99 per month.
- Amazon Prime Video: If you’re already an Amazon Prime member, you have access to Amazon Prime Video at no additional cost. The service offers a mix of TV shows, movies, and original content.
- Disney+: Disney+ is a newer streaming service that focuses exclusively on Disney-owned content. Plans start at $7.99 per month.
- HBO Max: HBO Max offers a mix of HBO content, Warner Bros. movies, and other TV shows and movies. Plans start at $14.99 per month.
Also Read: The Bright Side to Getting Internet Without Cable TV
Streaming devices to consider
In order to access streaming services, you’ll need a device to stream them on. Here are some of the most popular options:
- Smart TV: Many newer TVs come with built-in streaming capabilities, so you may not need a separate device.
- Roku: Roku is a popular streaming device that offers access to many different streaming services. Devices start at $29.99.
- Amazon Fire TV: Amazon’s Fire TV devices offer access to many different streaming services and also apartment well with Amazon Prime Video. Devices start at $39.99.
- Apple TV: Apple TV is a streaming device that offers access to many different streaming services, as well as Apple’s own content. Devices start at $149.
- Chromecast: Google’s Chromecast is a budget-friendly streaming device that allows you to cast content from your phone or computer to your TV. Devices start at $29.99.
- GetstreamingTV: Getstreaming TV is a new, innovative platform that provides users with a seamless streaming experience.
Antennas to consider
If you’re looking to pick up local channels for free, consider purchasing an antenna. Here are some options to consider:
- Mohu Leaf: The Mohu Leaf is a popular indoor antenna that can pick up signals within a 30-mile radius. It’s easy to install and can be placed anywhere in your home. Prices start at $19.99.
- ClearStream Eclipse: The ClearStream Eclipse is another popular indoor antenna that can pick up signals within a 35-mile radius. It has a sleek design and can be easily mounted on a wall or window. Prices start at $39.99.
- Winegard FlatWave: The Winegard FlatWave is a thin, lightweight indoor antenna that can pick up signals within a 50-mile radius. It’s easy to install and can be placed anywhere in your home. Prices start at $29.99.
Also Read: Finding the Perfect TV Cable or Satellite Plan: Tips and Tricks
Tips for a seamless transition
Making the switch from cable TV to streaming services can be a big adjustment. Here are some tips for making the transition as seamless as possible:
- Invest in a good internet connection: Streaming services require a strong internet connection. Make sure your internet speed is fast enough to support streaming.
- Consider a DVR: If you’re used to recording shows and movies with your cable DVR, consider purchasing a separate DVR for your streaming services. Many streaming devices offer built-in DVR capabilities.
- Explore different services: Don’t be afraid to try out different streaming services to find the ones that work best for you. Most services offer free trials, so take advantage of them.
- Use multiple devices: Streaming services can be accessed on multiple devices, so take advantage of this. Watch your favorite shows on your TV, phone, or tablet.
- Don’t forget about local channels: Even if you’re not paying for cable, you can still access local channels with an antenna. Don’t forget to use it!
Cutting the cord and never paying for TV again is easier than you think. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can save money on your entertainment budget without sacrificing your favorite shows and movies. With so many streaming services, devices, and antennas to choose from, there’s never been a better time to make the switch.
Is cutting the cord really worth it?
Cutting the cord can save you a significant amount of money on your entertainment budget. However, it’s important to make sure you can access all the channels and shows you want before canceling your cable subscription.
How do I know which streaming service to choose?
Consider your viewing habits and compare prices and features to find the service that’s right for you.
Do I need a separate device for each streaming service?
No, you can access multiple streaming services on the same device.
Can I still watch live TV without cable?
Yes, many streaming services offer live TV options. Consider subscribing to a service like Hulu + Live TV or YouTube TV.
Will I be able to watch local channels without cable?
Yes, you can pick up local channels for free with an antenna.